The roofing industry is one of the only industries with very low barriers to enter. Due to the overwhelming number of contractors in the roofing industry, it can be difficult to separate out the contractors who provide quality service. Typically, there are more non-professionals then professionals in this industry. When it comes to roofing projects, the contractor performing the work causes most disasters, rather than the products used. Disasters are expensive to fix, but fortunately most are also preventable.
Here are some examples of disasters:
- Improper installation of the roof system due to lack of training for roofing crews, the lack of knowledge on how to properly install a roof system and cutting corners to save the contractor life. This results in major problems on the roof and even total roof failure.
- Damage to your property can occur, due to contractor negligence. If the contractor does not have sufficient liability insurance or bonding, it becomes not only a hassle, but one at the expense of the property owner.
- A worker falling off your roof, or injuring themselves, due to improper or lack of safety measures.
- If a contractor is not organized, scheduling problems can occur while the homeowner loses time and money dealing with the issue. Inconveniences can be worked around if the contractor communicates them ahead of time.
- An innocent bystander, or your own family members, being injured during the project due to improper safety standards. If the contractor is not properly insured this would be the responsibility of the homeowner.
The list goes on. So, how can you avoid roofing disasters? By choosing the right roofing contractor. Keep in mind, even if you do your homework and select the right contractor, where there is room for human error, some disasters will always be inevitable, but the right contractors will at least have the proper coverage and will stand behind their work, in such a situation.
Remember, anyone can put a ladder in the back of their pick-up truck and call themselves roofing contractors. As a consumer, you need to avoid this type of contractor’s altogether and choose established contractors that care about.